POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Apr 2010 16:14:30
Message: <4bd5f426$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Apparently I'm just weird. I can't really tell the difference between
> the old 300dpi LaserJet 6P, the 600dpi LaserJet 4100, and the 1200dpi
> Xerox Phaser.

Plain old black-and-white text. It was pretty easy to see. Enough that I was
impressed with the quality of the 1200dpi laser printer.

> Now, see, to my eyes the Computer Modern fonts look much, much better
> than anything any other system ever produces. (Certainly TeX beats the
> **** out of anything Word produces!)

Sure, but that's because Word is doing it on the fly, as you type. Any
decent typesetting system is going to give you nicer-looking output.

You can go to journals written in the 90s or so, and see who had their
papers typeset and who wrote it themselves with TeX just by looking at the
poor spacing and the fonts with bad balances of black and white and such.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)