POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Apr 2010 16:09:57
Message: <4bd5f315$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> You're telling me it's possible to tell the difference betwee 600dpi
>> and 1200dpi?
>
> Yeah. You have to look close.  (And, honestly, this was before I hit 40
> and my eyes started to get old.) But yes, it was pretty clear. I could
> pick up a paper in my brother's advertising office and tell you if it
> came off the Apple laser printer or the "real" laser printer, for
> example, just by looking at the jaggies on an X or something.

Apparently I'm just weird. I can't really tell the difference between
the old 300dpi LaserJet 6P, the 600dpi LaserJet 4100, and the 1200dpi
Xerox Phaser.

Oh, unless you mean in greyscale or something. There it makes a
difference...

> The same way that in the same timeframe you could look at a TeX paper
> and tell by the crappy spacing between letters and the poor typography
> that it was using Computer Modern fonts instead of fonts designed by a
> typographer.

Now, see, to my eyes the Computer Modern fonts look much, much better
than anything any other system ever produces. (Certainly TeX beats the
**** out of anything Word produces!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/