POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: clipka
Date: 26 Apr 2010 16:07:55
Message: <4bd5f29b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.04.2010 21:33, schrieb Warp:
> Le_Forgeron<jgr### [at] freefr>  wrote:
>> Then came out LCD... from laptop to desktop and TV, they killed the CRT.
>> The colours drop to less numbers, but this is now an hidden information.
>
>    Not to talk about contrast...
>
>    Also, CRTs could be looked at from about any direction and it would
> always look exactly as good. Only in the last few years LCDs are
> *approaching* that (many still have problems when viewed from above
> or below).
>
>    Then there are the dead pixels, which plagued LCDs for many, many years
> (only relatively recently LCD vendors have started guaranteeing no dead
> pixels).

Stick to CRTs if you like - I do prefer to have room enough on my desk
for /two/ displays with 24" @16:9 and 19" @4:3 size (effective image
diagonal, not nominal tube size), both presenting their image perfectly
flat and undistorted, with perfectly sharp pixels, no analog signal
distortion or beam focus problems, no "pumping" effect with brightness
changes, no moiree effects with the X11 login screen, less dust
accumulating on the display, less eye strain from flicker - and no risk
of my desk collapsing under the displays' sheer weight.

It's all a question of priorities. Yours may vary.