POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Apr 2010 15:49:09
Message: <4bd5ee35$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> You're telling me it's possible to tell the difference betwee 600dpi and
> 1200dpi?

Yeah. You have to look close.  (And, honestly, this was before I hit 40 and
my eyes started to get old.) But yes, it was pretty clear. I could pick up a
paper in my brother's advertising office and tell you if it came off the
Apple laser printer or the "real" laser printer, for example, just by
looking at the jaggies on an X or something.

The same way that in the same timeframe you could look at a TeX paper and
tell by the crappy spacing between letters and the poor typography that it
was using Computer Modern fonts instead of fonts designed by a typographer.

> As I say, everybody's shouting about 2x the resolution as if it's some
> big deal or something.

1080 is a lot more than 2x the resolution of 480. It's also because it's
digital now, so the signal is better.

> Now, if it was 10x the resolution, that would seem more impressive...

Certainly. But you wouldn't pay for that, would you?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)