POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Windows beta 37 : Re: Windows beta 37 Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:37:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows beta 37
From: clipka
Date: 26 Apr 2010 14:35:29
Message: <4bd5dcf1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.04.2010 19:29, schrieb Warp:

>>          pigment { aoi pigment_map { ... } }
>>          normal { aoi normal_map { ... } }
>>          texture { aoi texture_map { ... } }
>
>    Can a pattern function be created using aoi? In other words,
> #declare MyFunc = function { pattern { aoi } };

No.

>    If you #declare a pigment which uses the aoi pattern, what happens if
> you evaluate that pigment?
>
>    Is the aoi pattern limited to be used with pigment_map, normal_map and
> texture_map, or can it also be used with eg. color_map, slope_map or
> density_map?
>
>    Can the aoi pattern be modified with regular pattern modifiers such as
> turbulence and warps? What happens if you scale it unevenly or rotate it?

Why don't you just give it a try? ;-)

I didn't test the code for such things, but I can guarantee you that it
was /not/ designed to do anything particularly useful in such situations :-P

 From how I implemented it, the limitations should be the same as for
the slope pattern:

- eval_pigment should always return 0.0;

- it should work fine with color_map and slope_map as well;

- it should /not/ work with density_map (but the parser will probably
not give any warning, and instead silently give you whatever density you
have mapped to 0.0);

- it should ignore any transformations and warps (note that for the
slope pattern, this is only true if you're not using the altitude feature).