POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Apr 2010 14:22:08
Message: <4bd5d9d0$1@news.povray.org>
>> Everybody seems to hate #1, but lots of people apparently see nothing
>> wrong with #2 or #3. *shudders*
>
> You forgot #5:
>
> An HD picture with black bars on the top and bottom to make it SD aspect
> ratio, then broadcast on an HD screen with black bars left and right to
> make it fit.
>
> Altho there are actually components in a lot of TVs that will detect
> this and only show you the middle anyway.

Yeah. Or you manually flip the controls on the TV, as I constantly do.

(Or rather, did. With the new BD player, it seems to happen
automatically. God only knows why this didn't happen before...)

The fun part is when you watch "widescreen" stuff, and there's *still*
black bars at the top and bottom. (I.e., the picture is even wider than
your TV.) Oh that was *so* worth it...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/