POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another interesting OOD conundrum : Re: Another interesting OOD conundrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another interesting OOD conundrum
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Apr 2010 13:04:17
Message: <4bd5c791$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I'm still working on it :-)

The XNA samples that MS gives out have the screens actually being removed
and recycled when they're no longer active. The background screen just
overrides the "Remove me when someone is on top" routine to not remove
itself.  But you still want it to go away during actual gameplay.

I finally got it worked out, and I wound up doing factory methods for the
various types of standard screens. It's kind of twisty.

Next on the list is refactoring the "InputManager" (which used to be an
InputManager and an InputState) into the thing that manages the controller
hardware and the thing that interprets button presses as actual semantically
meaningful stuff (e.g., "enter" or "green button" translates to "menu entry
accepted" on menus, but not during gameplay). Then I can override buttons
and add UI sound effects as appropriate.

By the time I get a trivial "game" to test this whole infrastructure, I'm
going to have a game possibly even worth putting out there. ;-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)