POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: nemesis
Date: 26 Apr 2010 12:17:59
Message: <4bd5bcb7$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> http://www.xkcd.com/732/
>
> This puzzles me too.

yeah, my only conclusion is that you and the author of XKCD both use
(blurry) glasses.  Perhaps that even may explain his simple art style... :D

> I mean, if you're going to force everybody to buy a new TV, new
> receiver, new type of disk and a new machine to play it, why it increase
> the resolution *significantly*? Why only increase it by a small amount?
> I don't understand that.

It *is* a significant increase and it looks specially good on big Full
HDTV screens in the living room, not a small 19 inches PC monitor.  BTW,
mine here at work is a 19 inch LG monitor and is running at the maximum
resolution of 1600x900 pixels.  That is below 1080p.

You won't even want to know what I ran back in 2004.  Humor demands
exaggeration. :)

> (And hell, half the equipment and content that says "HD" on it isn't
> even full resolution anyway... Why allow half a dozen resolutions when
> it would have been far simpler for the designers and less misleading for
> the public if they allow only one resolution?)

Because, say, games at full HD may have to cut geometry or frame rate
here and there to fit comfortably?

> Hell, when I was at uni ten years ago we had computers exceeding these
> resolutions. With Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 4. Has technology not
> moved on since then? It's not like there's any technical challenge to
> using a higher resolution, after all...

Regarding the iPhone resolution:  obviously huge TV screens have far
"bigger" pixels than that on a iPhone display.  Literally.  From the
distance of your sofa, though, you don't notice them individually.  Just
as a guy doesn't notice any lack of pixels at a tiny iPhone display.

> PS. I am similarly baffled by the current fashion for "widescreen" TVs.
> Given that 99.998% of all video content ever created is in 4:3 aspect,
> what the hell is the advantage of buying a TV with a 16:9 aspect?? I
> don't understand.

Yeah, why sell color TVs in a time when 99.98% video content ever
created is B&W?  This is one of your "obviously impossible" kinda
comments, ain't it?

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9