POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Warp
Date: 26 Apr 2010 12:04:34
Message: <4bd5b991@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> Anyway, there are also compression algorithms that are a lot more efficient
> than the one used on DVDs. So in theory you could get DVD quality with a lot
> less than 9 MBit/s if you use a better compression algorithm.

  MPEG-4 Part 10 (also know as H.264) can compress DVD video to at least
1/4th of the size without any visible loss of quality, so what you are
saying is certainly true.

  However, MPEG-4 is still such a new technology that not many companies
nor devices support it well yet. (H.264 also requires quite a lot more
computing power to decompress than MPEG-2, which means that viewing
devices need to be more expensive.) Of course since we are talking about
internet broadcasting here, and thus people wathing on their PC's, that's
mostly a non-issue.

  Digital TV could have benefited from using MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2, but
it didn't. It's a bummer.

--
                                                          - Warp