POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 26 Apr 2010 11:03:24
Message: <4bd5ab3c$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/26/2010 3:19 AM, Invisible wrote:
> I mean, if you're going to force everybody to buy a new TV, new
> receiver, new type of disk and a new machine to play it, why it increase
> the resolution *significantly*? Why only increase it by a small amount?
> I don't understand that.

Partly bandwidth related. The UHF/VHF frequency space has only a certain
amount of bandwidth per channel. Now, while a HD broadcast in 1080p at
an "acceptable" compression ratio might fit nicely within the allotted
bandwidth for a channel, doubling the horizontal and vertical
resolution, for example quadruples the number of pixels on the screen.
Eventually, the video would need to be compressed to the point where the
image would be nothing more than a macroblock-fest.

> (And hell, half the equipment and content that says "HD" on it isn't
> even full resolution anyway... Why allow half a dozen resolutions when
> it would have been far simpler for the designers and less misleading for
> the public if they allow only one resolution?)

We're in a transitional period right now. Give it time. What really irks
me is the way the cable company has been handling content. They have
allotted no fewer than 4 channels per local station, which is, IMO
completely unnecessary, and (if the channels aren't just aliases, and
some aren't: they're analog variants!) it's a horrible waste of
bandwidth. I can understand simulcasting the analog variant for those
who do not have HD equipment, but do not want to rent a box.

> Hell, when I was at uni ten years ago we had computers exceeding these
> resolutions. With Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 4. Has technology not
> moved on since then? It's not like there's any technical challenge to
> using a higher resolution, after all...

In both the digital flat panel and the CRT's case there is some
technical challenge to higher resolutions: Eventually the frequencies
involved get so high that capacitance becomes VERY important, and
circuit design becomes exceptionally tricky, to the point where traces
at certain distances from each other (whether on the same layer, or
overlapped in different layers of the board) will essentially act as a
low-pass filter killing the signal.

> PS. I am similarly baffled by the current fashion for "widescreen" TVs.
> Given that 99.998% of all video content ever created is in 4:3 aspect,
> what the hell is the advantage of buying a TV with a 16:9 aspect?? I
> don't understand.

Movies.

Going back to why movies went widescreen (they used to be displayed at a
square ratio, even!) has to do with how the human visual field works, we
have a wider angle of view on the horizontal axis than we do on the
vertical.

--
~Mike