POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Apr 2010 09:28:16
Message: <4bd594f0$1@news.povray.org>
>> I can see the pixels on my monitor.
>
> What dpi is it?  How far away are you from it?

No idea what the dpi rating is. It's 1400x900 and it's probably about
30cm tall or something? And I'm sitting maybr 40cm or so away from it.
(I don't have anything to actually measure it with.)

> My laptop has a 150 dpi screen.  My desktop monitor is 103 dpi and from
> normal viewing at my desk (60 cm) I cannot see any jagged edges from the
> pixels (maybe that's just because of the AA settings though).

Yeah, AA hides a multitude of sins. ;-) Curiosly, they don't seem to
have invented AA for mouse pointers yet. (Except in computer games...)

> Maybe the
> fact that Windows is not good at scaling has meant that making a 150 or
> 200 dpi monitor that is used from "desktop" viewing distances would be
> impossible to use due to the tiny physical size of the fonts and other
> GUI items?

Plausible.

> I was running it for a while on my laptop with a non-standard dpi
> setting. On the whole Windows and Office was fine, but IIRC my CAD
> software screwed up, with some buttons being shifted outside of the
> window so you couldn't get to them!

Haha! And I bet that CAD software was the most expensive thing on the
whole PC, by a mile... ;-)

>> (Then again, my grandparents use FreeSat. Their TV physically has a
>> 4:3 aspect [it's an old CRT], and the picture seems to fit natively,
>> so...)
>
> Most stand alone sat/freeview boxes I've seen have an option to output
> to 4:3 which just crops the left/right edges of the 16:9 signal (I
> assume if it's built into a TV it will be set accordingly to match the
> TV).  This is why they always put any important information in the
> central part of the screen, as they know some people are still chopping
> the sides off to watch 4:3.

Maybe that's it then. Maybe the reason I still see all broadcast signals
in 4:3 aspect is because the receiver is resizing them?