POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: scott
Date: 26 Apr 2010 09:14:19
Message: <4bd591ab$1@news.povray.org>
> I can see the pixels on my monitor.

What dpi is it?  How far away are you from it?

> But yeah, maybe 600dpi would be overkill. Perhaps just 150 or something?

My laptop has a 150 dpi screen.  My desktop monitor is 103 dpi and from
normal viewing at my desk (60 cm) I cannot see any jagged edges from the
pixels (maybe that's just because of the AA settings though).  Maybe the
fact that Windows is not good at scaling has meant that making a 150 or 200
dpi monitor that is used from "desktop" viewing distances would be
impossible to use due to the tiny physical size of the fonts and other GUI
items?

> Hell, there are programs that ignore you if you change the default window
> colours. Or programs that don't like it if Windows is installed on D:
> rather than C:. ;-)

I was running it for a while on my laptop with a non-standard dpi setting.
On the whole Windows and Office was fine, but IIRC my CAD software screwed
up, with some buttons being shifted outside of the window so you couldn't
get to them!

> (Then again, my grandparents use FreeSat. Their TV physically has a 4:3
> aspect [it's an old CRT], and the picture seems to fit natively, so...)

Most stand alone sat/freeview boxes I've seen have an option to output to
4:3 which just crops the left/right edges of the 16:9 signal (I assume if
it's built into a TV it will be set accordingly to match the TV).  This is
why they always put any important information in the central part of the
screen, as they know some people are still chopping the sides off to watch
4:3.