POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Warp
Date: 26 Apr 2010 08:49:24
Message: <4bd58bd4@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Question: Why aren't there any widescreen cinemas yet?
> >
> > At risk of entirely misunderstanding the question, all cinemas have shown all
> > films in 16:9 or wider for almost a hundred years.

> Really?

> Huh, well, you learn something every day. The picture always looked
> fairly square to me...

  I'm beginning to suspect that this is not Andrew, and instead some troll
is posting using his nickname.

  If even TV is not square (it's 4:3), how in the world could you ever
think that movies are square? I don't get it.

  The narrowest aspect ratio used in movies for the past 20+ years has
usually been 1.85:1. The most common aspect ratios for big movies today
is 2.25:1 and even 2.35:1 (that's well over twice as wide as tall).

--
                                                          - Warp