POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: scott
Date: 26 Apr 2010 08:43:22
Message: <4bd58a6a$1@news.povray.org>
> I don't mind paying money when I actually get something in return.

Most people feel the same way, and obviously people selling stuff realise
this too.

> I often wonder why we don't have monitors with 300dpi or 600dpi yet. Then
> the text on screen would be nearly print-quality.

Because you view a computer monitor from further distance than a book, an
arbitrarily increasing the ppi is a waste of money and electricity.

On the other hand cell-phones, which you often do use much closer, have much
higher resolution displays.  200-300 dpi on high-end phones is normal, for a
computer monitor at normal viewing distances I doubt there would be much
improvement going from 100 -> 300 dpi, and going to 600 dpi would be pretty
much invisible at normal viewing distances.

> (Except that, to this day, changing resolution makes everything come out
> too small.

You can change the ppi setting somewhere in windows, but IME some badly
behaved programs don't like it.

> Even the adverts?

Yeh I think so, I would have probably noticed if they weren't.

> Which channels are you watching?

Just the usual, BBC1-3 and red button, ITV1&4, C4 etc.

> Perhaps I live in a different country or something then? Most of what we
> receive doesn't appear to be widescreen.
>
> (Or are you talking about the HD channels? We only receive SD.)

No I only get SD too, everything I've seen is widescreen, again check your
favourite listings magazine or website if you don't believe me.

"Most digital broadcasts from the BBC and the other main broadcasters are
now in widescreen format"

From:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitaltv/widescreen.shtml

Oh wait, you're not still receiving analogue signal are you?  That might be
different.