POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Apr 2010 08:04:18
Message: <4bd58142$1@news.povray.org>
>> How about if it supported only SD (which is one resolution) or only HD
>> (in one resolution)?
>
> Then you would ignore the market segment that consists of people that
> want something better than SD but cannot (or do not want to) pay the
> full price of 1080p.

I'm of the opinion that "full price 1080p" shouldn't be that expensive
in the first place, and we should all be saving up for 4096p or
something. But I guess that's next year's money draw...

>> (What the hell is the advantage of a widescreen *laptop* for goodness'
>> sake?!)
>
> 1. Watching movies on the go.

OK. If you accept that there is movie content available in widescreen
then that makes sense.

> 2. A better match for the aspect ratio of the keyboard.

That works. In fact, my (widescreen) laptop is the very first laptop
I've ever seen with a numpad. Usually laptops omit it.

> 3. Cost (remember that thing about the diagonal and the surface area).

Fair enough.

> I have to ask: Is Milton Keynes like one of those little tribal villages
> sometimes found deep in some jungle, where technology has not improved
> for centuries?

Milton Keynes hasn't actually existed for a complete century yet, so...
no. (Although for some strange reason almost nobody seems to have heard
of it or know where it is. And whenever shows or events happen, they
happen in Northampton. Not Milton Keynes. No idea why!)

I did once see a film at Loughborough Cinema [there is only one]. That
was an experience; no surround sound, for a start. It's surprising how
much of a difference that makes!