POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Default file type : Re: Default file type Server Time
6 Jul 2024 07:45:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Default file type
From: clipka
Date: 26 Apr 2010 05:38:12
Message: <4bd55f04@news.povray.org>
Am 26.04.2010 10:20, schrieb Bill Pragnell:

> (oh, and I vote PNG too; not sure about Win7 but XP certainly had no clue what
> to do with TGAs, and I object to BMP on moral and aesthetic grounds ;) JPEG is
> out of the question for your stated reasons. 2 of my English pence :))

I think BMP (which is the current default for POV-Ray for Windows) has
also become a poor choice for technical reasons, as POV-Ray's
implementation can only write uncompressed BMPs, making it a major waste
of space without any gain. (It would of course be possible to implement
compressed BMP output, but then again, why bother when there are better
alternatives around nowadays.)