POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Apr 2010 10:34:42
Message: <4bd45302$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> My programs aren't arbitrary. They have some kind of structure to them.
> Other people's programs do not necessarily have this property.

So, everyone else is a *worse* programmer than you? And they write random
programs with no purpose? ;-)

Here's the deal that Turing figured out. You can't take every *arbitrary*
program, i.e., one created by generating a bunch of machine code
instructions with a random number generator, and figure out what it's going
to do without running it. But that's not how people write programs.

You also can't check that a program is typesafe, because you can't tell if
an arbitrary program every assigns the wrong type to a variable. But we
design strongly-typed programming languages that disallow well-typed
programs that the compiler can't prove are well-typed.

Since people don't debug arbitrary random programs, it's usually (usually!)
fairly easy to figure out, when you get an error message, what caused it.
Certainly easier than when you get no error message and just the wrong answers.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)