POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Apr 2010 16:08:44
Message: <4bd0accc$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Nonsense. Every programming language and every scripting language
>>> supports COM that I've seen.
>>
>> I've yet to find a language that can do it.
>
> I've named half a dozen. What languages do you use?

I just named a bunch of 'em. ;-)

>>> Didn't you tell me Haskell has a COM interface?
>>
>> Yes, but it doesn't compile on Windows.
>
> Are you sure it's "it doesn't compile" and not "I don't know how to
> compile it"?

Well, I asked about it and got stoney silence. From past experience, the
solution probably begins with "install a Unix emulator..."

>>> I know Tcl does.
>>
>> With an extension? Or natively? I don't recall seeing anything about
>> it in the docs. (I did find DDE, however. And registry access.)
>
> http://www.vex.net/~cthuang/tcom/
>
> Extensions *are* native. Tcl is a language for writing extensions in.

I have a vague recollection of seeing some Tcl extension that did
something I wanted, and being unable to actually make it work. I won't
beat on about that too much though since I no longer remember enough
details.

>>> What language have you used on Windows that does *not* do COM?
>>
>> Java, Smalltalk, Eiffel, JavaScript, Tcl, Haskell, POV-Ray (well,
>> duh!) As far as I know, none of them support it.
>
> In other words, you didn't take the time to google
> java "com interface"
> smalltalk "com interface"
> eiffel "com interface"
> tcl "com interface"
> before you said you have no languages that support it.

Ah, so they added it to Java? (I'm not sure I even want to know how they
made that platform-neutral...) I haven't used Java for a while, but when
last I did it was legendary that the APIs undergo radical changes with
every minor point release.

For Smalltalk, I'm going to put my foot down and assert that the
implementation that *I* have doesn't support COM.

And Eiffel... yeah, well, I don't use Eiffel any more. And Tcl we've
talked about elsewhere.

> Javascript per se doesn't, but jscript does, which is pretty much the
> same thing with a different name.

I'm clearly going to have to investigate this one... It might actually
be useful.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/