POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2010 15:33:24
Message: <4bd0a484@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   What do you *need* directories for? Useless. Just use a naming convention.

BTW, most microcomputer OSes, including DOS and CP/M and MacOS didn't have
directories.  So, yeah. :-)

>   If we start dropping everything that is not absolutely necessary, we could
> get a pretty bare-bones system.

You'd have FORTH, I expect. ;-)

>   Have you ever heard of "shortcuts" in Windows? They are like a poor-man's
> symbolic link.

Thinking on this, one primary difference is that shortcuts don't
*automatically* get followed if the program doesn't specifically prevent
that. I'm not sure that's as useful as the ability to have one file that
acts as a reference to another file.

See, here's my thinking. Given that people don't really type long paths on
Windows very much (at least not as much as UNIX), having a program follow a
link like that automatically doesn't especially seem helpful, especially if
it points to a file system with different semantics (like a network share,
say). Pretty much all but the simplest programs on UNIX have to handle
symlinks anyway, whether they're recursing a directory (like find or grep or
backups or whatever) or whether they're just moving files around (like "mv"
needing to know if it's the same file system or not). A user on Windows
tends to launch a shortcut and it comes up in a window, whether it points to
a file or a directory or something. If they're navigating, they're doing it
one step at a time, so having it happen automatically in the middle of a
path doesn't seem as useful in that situation.  But maybe usage patterns
would be different if they were around earlier, sure. Shortcuts were clearly
a hack to support not having a huge PATH variable that grew into a more
general mechanism over time.

(BTW, Windows2000 supported junction points, which are the higher-level
abstraction on which mounted file systems and symbolic links and remote
files are all based. Again, it just didn't come with the OS, but you could
buy programs that did it.  Just FYI.)

>   (Yes, go on an rant about how these "shortcuts" are so much infinitely
> better than symbolic links.

BTW, I'm not the one "ranting". I'm discussing stuff rationally, I think.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)