POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2010 15:14:29
Message: <4bd0a015$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Which came first, COM or POV-Ray GUI extensions?

COM was originally OLE, which was around in Win3 days. Certainly by Win98 it
was a well-established technology.

The only reason I said "unknown reason" is that the windows interface only
works on Windows. The reason for using INI files instead of the INI API is
portability, I'd expect. That wouldn't be an issue with COM and the Windows
editor/interface thing.

I don't know enogh about the history of COM and the Windows port of POV-Ray
to know whether COM could do what the GUI extensions needed when they were
written.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)