POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Apr 2010 09:23:42
Message: <4bd04dde@news.povray.org>
>>>   I don't think that's true. You said that you would use a text editor to
>>> search for specific lines. That means you *know* that you can use a text
>>> editor for that purpose. If you know that, you have probably done it,
>>> probably many times.
>
>> Not nearly as many times as you seem to think.
>
>   That's quite different from "never needed to do this".
>
>   You are seriously telling me you have never used the search feature of
> a program which handles text?

I do occasionally do a find & replace over a file to rename an
identifier. Not particularly often though. I can't remember the last
time I needed to perform just a normal search.

(Although I'll admit I sometimes end up needing it on web pages. Like, I
google something, and the page that comes back doesn't appear to contain
my search term anywhere, so I do a text search for it.)

>   How hard is it to say "yes, I see how 'grep' or similar tools can be
> very useful"? Instead, you keep repeating "I have never needed anything
> like that", making it sound like in your opinion it must be one of the
> most useless things in existence.

The fact that "grep" is used within certain circles as if it's an actual
English verb makes it clear that somebody thinks it's useful. I'm just
puzzled as to what the attraction is, that's all.

 From what's happened in this discussion, it seems that it's just that
other people work with far more text files than I do.