POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Apr 2010 08:31:08
Message: <4bd0418c$1@news.povray.org>
>> Personally, I'd import the whole log into a relational database, and
>> process it that way. (Or maybe even use a webserver that keeps its logs
>> in a database in the first place, rather than a huge flat file.) But
>> apparently that's just me...
>
>   Talk about an overly complicated solution for a simple problem.

Once the data is in a real database, you can sort it and search it and
compute stats on it and basically do whatever you want with it,
effortlessly and easily. But sure, if you *only* wanted to quickly see
if a particular IP address appears or something, you could use a text
search. But if I was hunting through web logs, I'd probably want to
build all sorts of statistics or do multi-way searches - the exact task
that databases are especially designed to perform. Why not use the right
tool?

>> On the contrary, figuring out how to work grep vs writing a program in a
>> language I already know well is likely to take *slightly* more than
>> merely a hundred times longer. (Although you could argue that's a
>> one-time cost.)
>
>   Writing something like "grep 'hello.*there' file.txt" doesn't require a
> lot of time or thinking.

Nor does opening file.txt in a text editor and running a quick search.
(Not that I can think of a reason to want to do this in the first place...)

>> Personally I just dislike scripting languages.
>
>   What's the difference between "a scripting language" and "a real language"?

Now that is surprisingly hard to pin down. ;-)