POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Apr 2010 05:51:10
Message: <4bd01c0e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> All I can say is that apparently I don't deal with volumes of data
>> large enough to make searching necessary. (Then again, I always
>> thought that if you have to *search* your files, you haven't organised
>> them properly...)
>
> Usually it's folders of files which are not from me (eg a programming
> library) which I find I need to search.

Ah, well maybe that's it then. I never ever work with files that I
didn't personally create.

> Also the folder system used on most file systems only lets you put a
> file into one location (unless you get tangled up with soft and hard
> links or hundreds of shortcuts).  With a proper DMS a file should be
> filed under several different categories (eg "Project A", "General
> electrical issues", "Work done by Scott", "Work for customer X", etc).
> As this isn't easily possible using Windows Explorer then the only
> option sometimes is to search.

Hee, apparently our DMS isn't "propper". :-D

Then again, our software evaluation process was "Write the spec.
Research available options. Perform a detailed evaluation on all the
available products. Determine which one best fits the business need.
Purchase the cheapest product anyway."