POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Apr 2010 05:39:49
Message: <4bd01965$1@news.povray.org>
>> (I'm still having trouble thinking up a use-case for that. About the
>> only thing I can think of is trying to find out which header file
>> defines a particular symbol or something.)
>
> I use the Windows search (which searches within files) quite a lot when
> looking for which source file contains certain code.  Outside of
> programming/development I can't think of many other common cases (maybe
> you are looking for a certain phrase within a letter you wrote?).

All I can say is that apparently I don't deal with volumes of data large
enough to make searching necessary. (Then again, I always thought that
if you have to *search* your files, you haven't organised them properly...)

>> If it's a small file, you can search it just be scrolling through it
>> and looking with your eyes. You don't need an automated search
>> facility. The only real reason to use an automated search is if
>> there's too much data to hunt through manually.
>
> If a file is big enough to need scrolling, it's going to be faster to
> ask the editor to search for it than using your eyes.

I guess it depends on whether you *know* precisely what you're searching
for, or whether you're looking for "something that might be to do with
the IP address"...