POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Apr 2010 04:10:03
Message: <4bd0045b$1@news.povray.org>
>>>   Ever heard of the magical word "grep"? Do you know what it's used for in
>>> unix systems? If yes, and you understand why this utility has existed for,
>>> like, forever, then why are you asking "why would you evern want to do such
>>> a thing"?
>
>> I throught that grep is an overly-complicated way of searching for the
>> location of a string within one particular file? (I usually just use my
>> text editor's "search" function.)
>
>   You use your text editor to tell you which files in a directory structure
> contain a specified string? Talk about being overly complicated. grep is a
> way, way simpler way to do that.

No, I mean... I thought grep can only search within a single file (as
can any decent text editor). I didn't realise it can search multiple files.

(I'm still having trouble thinking up a use-case for that. About the
only thing I can think of is trying to find out which header file
defines a particular symbol or something.)

>> I guess I don't very often edit large files...
>
>   What does file size have to do with anything?

If it's a small file, you can search it just be scrolling through it and
looking with your eyes. You don't need an automated search facility. The
only real reason to use an automated search is if there's too much data
to hunt through manually.