POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another philosophical religious thought... : Re: Another philosophical religious thought... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another philosophical religious thought...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Apr 2010 17:02:13
Message: <4bcf67d5$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/20/2010 1:49 PM, andrel wrote:
> On 20-4-2010 22:12, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>>
>>> Certainly. And even if you found an irreducible system that you could
>>> *prove* could *not* have evolved on its own, that still doesn't point to
>>> the necessity of a God.
>>>
>>> After all, we already have systems like that. Indeed, the whole
>>> "watchmaker's" argument is predicated on the fact that the watch is
>>> indeed irreducible enough to need to be designed. It doesn't follow from
>>> that that God created watches.
>>>
>> Actually, think someone wrote as fairly simple gear program that
>> torpedoed that too.
>
> you mean the one in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAq9bmCeR0?
>
>> What is necessary is that change between versions be *possible*, and
>> that the thing in question produce such *copy versions*. Watches need
>> watchmakers, not because they are irreducibly complex, but because
>> watches do not copy themselves, with or without modifications. If they
>> did, they wouldn't need watchmakers either.
>
> perhaps also good to mention is that watches, like all technology, did
> actually evolve. If you look at one of the latest mechanical watched
> made, you can not understand how someone could design that from scratch.
> In fact you would need to retrace part of the history to understand that.
> Better, if you would try to make that watch or something similar from
> scratch (i.e. while you would also need to build the equipment to make
> the parts) you would probably fail.
> Why I find this fascinating? because to build something so refined you
> need to make tools and you need to make the tools to make the tools.
> Etc. And for some of the technology needed, the skills have been lost
> and left no fossils. Which gives an interesting twist to the watchmaker
> argument.

Well, that is true too. After all, it would be damn hard to find the
"in-between" forms, i.e., fossil record, for the transition from candle
clocks to water clocks, or water clocks to hour glasses (though that may
be a bit easier), and its *very* unclear how you got from either of
those to spring driven ones, never mind ones with the same gears as the
spring driven ones, but a little battery and electric motor pushing the
gears. So, yeah, you get some similar things happening in technology
too, even *with* design.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {