POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2010 16:39:54
Message: <4bcf629a$1@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> >
> >> That's what the whole COM thing is all about, along with things like
> >> "Windows Scripting Host" and "Power Shell".
> >
> >   I find it telling that if the question would have been something like
> > "how do you find files in the current directory containing a certain string"
> > the answer could have been given in one line,

> Yes. Every window has a search box on it.

  I just wish it would work. It doesn't. Yes, I have tried, and I have
become exasperated.

> > but when the question is how
> > to do those complex searches in Windows you mentioned... there's no simple
> > answer, only obscure references to something else.

> Nope. Every window has a search box in it, *and* that search box handles the
> complex file formats too. If all you want to do is search for a text string
> in a directory tree, Windows has that.

  Do you honestly think I would be claiming that it doesn't work if I hadn't
tried it already? It doesn't work.

  I really got once stuck because I just *couldn't* find what I was
searching for. I knew the string was in some files and I wanted to know
which of them, but the damn thing simply refused to tell me, no matter
what I tried. (IIRC I was searching for C++ files which include a specific
header or something like that. I ended up having to figure that out by
other means.)

> If all you want to do is search for a
> regular expression in a directory tree, it's trivial to add that to Windows
> either with a GUI or without.

  You have a really odd definition of "trivial".

  My definition of "trivial" is if it would be something like "write 'xyz'
here, and it will work".

  Apparently your definition of "trivial" is "not impossible".

> If you want to know how to do searches that
> are difficult in Linux, then it's going to be complex in Windows too.

  "grep 'xyz.hh' *" isn't very difficult in Linux. It seems to be in Windows
(at least when using Windows Explorer).

> I'm
> not going to teach you how to do that any more than you're going to explain
> how to write the same searches using Linux tools.

  Do you know why? Because it's *not* trivial in Windows.

--
                                                          - Warp