POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2010 15:50:06
Message: <4bcf56ee@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> >> Windows has better tools than UNIX for manipulating structured files.
> >
> >   It does a pretty good job at hiding them. And pretty much everything else
> > that could be even remotely useful (such as soft links).

> Yes, you don't like Windows, we get it. Plus, you use a version that's old
> enough that it lacks the straightforward tools you're complaining about.

  I'm just not very eager to spend something like 200 euros on a Windows
which does things that my *current* Windows should do already (if nothing
else, as a free upgrade).

  Maybe I'll buy it some day in the future, when games stop supporting XP.
(Although by that time I'll probably have to buy a new PC altogether because
games will stop supporting 32-bit CPUs in the near future.)

> You complaining you can't find the Windows stuff is like Andrew complaining
> he can't work grep. :-)

  I have used Windows (98 and newer) for over 10 years, and I still can't
figure out how to do such things. I have been using Unix-likes for about
the same amount of time, and it didn't take me long to figure out, and it
just feels comfortable. (I'm not saying that you can do every possible
operation in existence easily, but common tasks just are much easier there
than in Windows, where often I don't know even where to start, even though
I'm not exactly a newbie. Windows is just that good at hiding all the stuff.)

--
                                                          - Warp