POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2010 13:54:55
Message: <4bcf3bef@news.povray.org>
> Just as an example, there's no UNIX text-processing tool that will look in
> an ODF word processing file to find some text but only in the comments
> submitted by a particular author of the ODF file, or only in boldface, or
> only the author's names; nor is there a text processing tool in UNIX to find
> every number in the third column of a particular spreadsheet whose value is
> more than 50, or the word "POV-Ray" but only in emails from Darren sent
> during February.

> ... just to clarify what I mean. Windows gives you ways of scripting this
> information in standard scripting languages. You can write a script that
> picks mail messages out of your email client by date and sender, runs them
> through VIM to reverse each line of text, and then populate an Excel
> spreadsheet with any line of text that has more than five characters, all in
> the scripting languages that come with Windows.

  Yet Windows fails to provide such a simple and essential thing as a
competent file search utility in Windows Explorer (the one at least in
XP just doesn't work).

  Apparently Microsoft's idea of "easy to use" is to make it as hard to use
as possible if you want to do anything even slightly more complicated.

--
                                                          - Warp