POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2010 13:45:02
Message: <4bcf399e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Sure. UNIX definitely comes with a lot of text manipulation tools that
> Windows doesn't. On the other hand, lots of Windows files aren't text,
> and Windows has better tools than UNIX for manipulating structured files.

Just as an example, there's no UNIX text-processing tool that will look in
an ODF word processing file to find some text but only in the comments
submitted by a particular author of the ODF file, or only in boldface, or
only the author's names; nor is there a text processing tool in UNIX to find
every number in the third column of a particular spreadsheet whose value is
more than 50, or the word "POV-Ray" but only in emails from Darren sent
during February.

... just to clarify what I mean. Windows gives you ways of scripting this
information in standard scripting languages. You can write a script that
picks mail messages out of your email client by date and sender, runs them
through VIM to reverse each line of text, and then populate an Excel
spreadsheet with any line of text that has more than five characters, all in
the scripting languages that come with Windows.

Grep works great on easy-to-parse text files. Most Windows programs don't
use easy-to-parse text files. Hence, people tend not to miss that
functionality unless they're programmers.

The whole "Microsoft won't tell us their file formats" complaint is missing
the point. That's not how you do things in Windows.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)