POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2010 13:31:47
Message: <4bcf3683$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>> Heck, even just finding
>>> a file with a certain string is so damn hard in Windows, not to talk about
>>> anything more advanced than that.
>
>> Vista actually does this quite nicely.  Or in stall Agent Ransack.
>
>   I suppose it supports extended regular expressions?

You said "a certain string".  No, I don't think Vista does this natively.
For that, try Agent Ransack, which is quite nice and free.  (I made the
perhaps mistaken assumption you were complaining about something that was
actually a problem for you. :-)

Or, you know, install the free tools.

>   (Of course searching files is just one of the many things one might need
> to do in a semi-regular basis. Searching and replacing a regular expression
> on a bunch of files with a certain name patter in a directory structure is
> not even a far-fetched thing to do. Or the myriad of other things which are
> handy to do on a unix command line.)

Sure. UNIX definitely comes with a lot of text manipulation tools that
Windows doesn't. On the other hand, lots of Windows files aren't text, and
Windows has better tools than UNIX for manipulating structured files.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)