POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2010 12:07:35
Message: <4bcf22c7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Far in advance? 12MHz CPU (if you were rich), no hardware graphics
> acceleration of any kind, 16 colors (again, if you were rich)... How is
> that "far in advance of what the Amiga has"?

Even years later, with 100+MHz CPUs and better-than-VGA graphics, Windows
still sucked balls at anything screen-oriented.  I remember watching a
powerpoint slide ripple its way across the screen on a Windows machine a
good 7 to 10 years after Amiga had a bouncing ball. :-)

> Heck, even just finding
> a file with a certain string is so damn hard in Windows, not to talk about
> anything more advanced than that.

Vista actually does this quite nicely.  Or in stall Agent Ransack.

>   (Yeah yeah, I know, you can do everything you can do in Linux and far more.
> There are all these fancy scripting languages and whatnot, which you might be
> able to use if you install something and something else. Nothing really
> consistent, and always a pain.)

Actually, it's way more consistent than Linux in terms of that. Everything
is COM. Now, if you don't do COM, then sure, it's a pain in the ass. But the
simple languages that can run any DLL and any application come with Windows
nowadays.  You just have to learn something Windows-specific, and you have
to stop trying to manipulate files that belong to other applications without
using that application. :-0

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)