POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All bow to the mighty Python : Re: All bow to the mighty Python Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All bow to the mighty Python
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Apr 2010 11:53:09
Message: <4bcf1f65$1@news.povray.org>
>> (Again, I can't comment on Python, but in Haskell you *can* in fact
>> still put multiple statements on a line, or spread one statement over
>> several lines. It's really not stopping you from doing that.)
>
> Python too. I don't think you could put the whole program on one line,
> because I don't think you can dedent except at the end of a line.

Haskell really will allow you to put the entire program on line (really
long) line.

But then, in Haskell, whitespace is *optional*. You can use semicolons
and curly braces instead if you prefer. It's just that nobody ever does
(except for sticking several items on one line).

>> I have never seen any text editor ever that converts spaces to tabs -
>
> You can ask for it in most editors.

Really? Why on earth would you want to? Tabs are evil and should never
have existed in the first place! o_O

>> Becuase no editor in existence can syntax hilight Haskell?
>
> What's the extention for Haskell source files?

Plain source is *.hs, "literate Haskell" is *.lhs (That's where all text
is comments be default, and source is quoted, rather than the usual way
around.)

> Can you post a snippit of Haskell here?

What, the other groups don't have enough Haskell source in them already?

   qsort xs =
     case xs of
       []   -> []
       [x]  -> [x]
       x:xs ->
         let
           ys1 = filter (x <) xs
           ys2 = filter (x >) xs
         in qsort ys1 ++ [x] ++ qsort ys2

>> (Besides, Emacs isn't a text editor, it's an operating system! :-P )
>
> Out of curiousity, does elisp run outside of emacs? Can emacs run
> without a window open?  I.e., could you write a web server in elisp?

No idea mate, no idea. :-)

>> That does actually sound quite nice. I've never seen an editor which
>> can actually do that.
>
> Uh, visual studio?

As documented, VS doesn't indent things the way *I* like. ;-)