POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: clipka
Date: 21 Apr 2010 11:52:38
Message: <4bcf1f46$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.04.2010 17:19, schrieb Invisible:
>>> And anyway, I thought the original VGA board had 2D acceleration?
>>
>> Nope. Back then, even 2D hardware acceleration was still the sole
>> domain of specialized display adapters, such as IBM's 8514/A (which
>> later "fused" with VGA into XGA though if I'm not mistaken).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vga
>
> Claims that the original VGA card has "some support for raster ops". Of
> course, being Wikipedia, it doesn't elaborate further...

IIRC from my old days of programming graphics output, there were
mechanisms in place to do fancy things that would allow you to do a
single write where you'd normally need a read/modify/write combo - such
as masking the pixels to affect with the write (as each byte would
control multiple pixels), and maybe stuff like automatical XORing (so
you could write a sprite on a background and later "un-write" it), but
that's about as good as it got. Kind of 1D acceleration, so to speak.