POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All bow to the mighty Python : Re: All bow to the mighty Python Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All bow to the mighty Python
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2010 11:41:44
Message: <4bcf1cb8@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Anyways, semicolons are seldom lost when you post a response to an online
> blog post.

But < and > are.  And python posts can translate to

>   Some editors also might convert spaces at the beginning of lines to tabs
> (or the other way around) if you are not careful with the settings. This
> doesn't really matter with normal programming languages.

As long as you do it consistently, it's OK with Python. The only thing
python disallows is mixed tabs and spaces.

>   It naturally depends on the specific language, but with some languages
> syntax highlighting and autoindentation actually help to catch typos as
> you are writing your code.

Poor-man's intellisense. :-)

I've been restructuring some code in C#, and it's cool to scroll thru the
file looking for red underlines and fixing those up without even compiling
the stuff. "Oh, this isn't defined?  I'll go over there and define it.
Whoops, I must have spelled it wrong because the underlines didn't go away.
Nope, it was taking a different class as an argument."  All without even
saving the files.

>   In many advanced editors you can configure how the autoindentation works.
> For example emacs has quite a lot of configuration options. (Of course that
> doesn't mean it's *easy* to configure.)

As with VIM, where you write regular expressions for when to indent and what
colors you want and etc.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)