POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All bow to the mighty Python : Re: All bow to the mighty Python Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All bow to the mighty Python
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2010 11:37:02
Message: <4bcf1b9e@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   I'm not concerned about typos. I'm concerned about whitespaces being lost
>>> in transfer
>
>> Well, don't do that. :-) Treat python source code as something other than
>> prose, and you won't have that problem.
>
>   Too bad that online forums and blogs won't.

Then they're broken, or you shouldn't use a prose-based interface to
transfer structured text.

>   Tell that to all the forum and blog software out there.

Sure.  That they're common doesn't mean they aren't broken.

You know what else is broken? Java assuming file names match class names,
and making class names case-sensitive. You deal with it. :-)

>   Autoindentation is impossible for a program to do because it cannot know
> where the block should end, as there is no keyword/character ending the block.

Oh, auto-reindentation. Yes, there's no way to know where the block ends
without maintaining the whitespace.

Actually, the parser works with "indent" and "dedent", so you could in
theory store actual characters in the code to indicate that.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)