POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: scott
Date: 21 Apr 2010 11:16:28
Message: <4bcf16cc$1@news.povray.org>
> Heh, reminds me of font aa too. RISCOS had the most advanced font aa at
> the time
> (still looks better than modern systems, although it doesn't matter so
> much with
> screen res these days).

Shame they didn't use it for the default OS font until quite a lot later
(although I think I had a hack to force it to be used in earlier versions).
IIRC the default OS font was still using an 8x8x1bit bitmap from the old
days, which was scaled up crudely when used in higher resolution screen
modes.  It could have been done better IMO.

> I heard somewhere they tried to licence the tech to MS,
> but didn't get anywhere... that might have changed the history of the uk
> pc
> industry a little. Although I guess ARM did OK ;)

Yeh, ARM designs are still used in a few processors last I heard :-)