POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All bow to the mighty Python : Re: All bow to the mighty Python Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All bow to the mighty Python
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Apr 2010 11:08:50
Message: <4bcf1502$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Depends on the standard libraries.
>
> Or if you are using an IDE with intelligent auto-complete, I find I very
> rarely need to actually open the help files.

Then again, Java uses names like

(I find it especially amusing that they shortened "language" to "lang",
but they couldn't find a shorter class name...)

In Haskell, about the worst thing you might have to type is

   Data.ByteString.Lazy.Char8.empty

If you're sensible, you'll alias this so you only write

   BS.empty

or similar. Suddenly autocomplete seems a whole lot less necessary.

Of course, the *other* function of autocomplete is not to save typing,
but to help you look stuff up faster. Generally in Haskell, remembering
the name isn't the problem; it's remembering what the hell the
difference between "insert" and "update" is. The type signature will
usually tell you that; if not, you need the documentation. ASSUMING
THERE IS ANY! >_<