POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: scott
Date: 21 Apr 2010 10:51:34
Message: <4bcf10f6$1@news.povray.org>
>> Acorn's OS had a task bar almost a decade before Windows came along with
>> it.
>
> Heh, why does that not surprise me?

Here's a screenshot I found from 1987!

http://www.mjpye.org.uk/images/screens/arthur2.gif

And 1989:

http://www.mjpye.org.uk/images/screens/riscos2.gif

And 1991:

http://toastytech.com/guis/riscosnewlook.gif

And 1994, Windows still didn't have a task bar:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Windows_3.11_workspace.png

I still remember my IT teacher at school telling me in 1995 that he heard
the new Windows OS was going to have a "task bar", and how they had copied
the Acorn design.  In fairness I doubt that whoever decided on the task bar
had even seen an Acorn machine before.  Although there is a classic anecdote
going around the Acorn world that apparently Bill Gates was once watching a
demo from Acorn of how to network machines together, and he asked "what's a
network?".