POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All bow to the mighty Python : Re: All bow to the mighty Python Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All bow to the mighty Python
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Apr 2010 10:08:31
Message: <4bcf06df@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> More likely it's because Haskell is the kind of language which is quite
>> easy to work with even without hilighting and other frills.
>
>   At least if you remember the five million standard library function
> names by heart and hence can easily distinguish between standard library
> calls and other function calls... (a task made easier by the fact that the
> names are usually short, non-descriptive, and lack any kind of standard
> naming convention or namespace).

Depends on the standard libraries.

If you're programming in Java, I'd estimate that you have approximately
a 0.02% change of ever doing this without constantly having the
documentation files open at your side (either electronic or paper). The
Java libraries are *vast*, horribly messy, vaguely documented, and it's
nearly impossible to keep track of which interfaces are depracated or
whatever.

If you're working with Haskell, it's comparatively easy. Maybe it's
because Haskell doesn't have many libraries, I don't know, but I don't
very often need to look things up. If I'm using Cairo, I'll probably
have the help file open. Or if I'm using some container that I don't use
very often. But in general, I don't need to look very much up. I don't
know if it's because the libraries are smaller or the names are better
or what.