POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Apr 2010 10:04:57
Message: <4bcf0609$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> One innotation Windows did add was the Task Bar.
>
> Acorn's OS had a task bar almost a decade before Windows came along with
> it.

Heh, why does that not surprise me?

BTW, isn't it amusing that for a decade Linux has been trying to look
more like Windows, and with Windows 7, now Windows is trying to look
more like Linux. (!)

> Ctrl-Tab also works in most tabbed applications to switch between tabs,
> if that helps at all.

Really? Ooo, sweet!

> I guess if you have several instances of FF
> running, each with several tabs you might get confused, but generally I
> only have one instance of FF, one of Visual Studio, one of Excel etc, so
> mentally I realise that there are tabs within each application.

In theory you'd think it would be simple. But when I'm working on
several things at once, I quite often find myself trying to switch
between (say) a document and its source code, and switching to the wrong
window. When you're trying to quickly flip between several things, the
fact that sometimes you need to click the task bar and sometimes the tab
bar seems really confusing.

For example, I write a Haskell program that generates some HTML. I've
now got the Haskell source code and the HTML open in several tabs in my
text editor, and of course the HTML open in Firefox. So if I find
something in Firefox that's wrong, I need to use the taskbar to flip
back to the text editor, and then probably another mouse click to flip
to the right tab. Gets even more confusing if I have a console window
open and I'm editing the batch file it runs from within the text editor...