POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another philosophical religious thought... : Re: Another philosophical religious thought... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another philosophical religious thought...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Apr 2010 16:12:13
Message: <4bce0a9d$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/19/2010 12:54 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. If you follow from your starting premise, maybe. The problem of
>> course that (3) is in error anyway. You can *get* irreducible systems,
>> without either needing them to be designed *or* previously existing.
>
> Certainly. And even if you found an irreducible system that you could
> *prove* could *not* have evolved on its own, that still doesn't point to
> the necessity of a God.
>
> After all, we already have systems like that. Indeed, the whole
> "watchmaker's" argument is predicated on the fact that the watch is
> indeed irreducible enough to need to be designed. It doesn't follow from
> that that God created watches.

Actually, think someone wrote as fairly simple gear program that
torpedoed that too. What is necessary is that change between versions be
*possible*, and that the thing in question produce such *copy versions*.
Watches need watchmakers, not because they are irreducibly complex, but
because watches do not copy themselves, with or without modifications.
If they did, they wouldn't need watchmakers either.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {