POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another philosophical religious thought... : Re: Another philosophical religious thought... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another philosophical religious thought...
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Apr 2010 11:16:16
Message: <4bcdc540$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>>
>> Yeah. Pretty much any absolute in this field leads to logical
>> contradictions.
>
> I'm not sure it's so much contradictions in this particular case as it
> is the generally difficulty linguistically describing (or even
> comprehending) something that's supposed to be infinite in the sense
> that God is.

Yet oddly enough, many will be happy to tell you exactly what this infinite
incomprehensible entity wants from you personally. ;-)

> I think the same principal is actually true of physics as well (for
> instance as it applies to the origin of the universe), although in that
> case there's the advantage of having a more or less well-defined way of
> definitively detecting such contradictions, which probably makes them
> easier to remove.

Certainly. Plus the ability to say "We don't know yet, or maybe never."

> It's mostly that I've never the description be so, well, anatomical.

I'm certainly taking it to extremes, yes. :-)

> I mean, how many people would really argue that God has a functioning
> digestive tract?  It's possible people would I suppose, but I've rarely
> even heard the view the human similarity to God was physical at all, let
> alone that it extended to the function and structure of individual organs.

You never heard the argument over whether angels have navels and such?

I think the general idea is that God is human-like, until it became
scientifically obvious that was absurd.  I mean, most every other God is
human-like (certainly all the major ones), God has a face (as in, "look upon
the face of God") and a back to be turned, etc...

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)