POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cellphone ray-tracing? : Re: Cellphone ray-tracing? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cellphone ray-tracing?
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Apr 2010 08:43:17
Message: <4bcda165@news.povray.org>
>>> If I'm not by my PC and I have my phone with me, why not?
>
>> 1. Because it will take approximately 250 years to render anything.
>
>   The iPhone 3GS has a 800+ MHz CPU, so it's not exactly slow.

I thought we were talking about the 400 MHz Nokia thing? Well anyway,
whatever.

>> 2. Because you'd need to be able to type things.
>
>   Strictly speaking, you can, even if it's a bit slower than on a full-sized
> PC keyboard.

In my limited experience, quite a lot slower. (Mind you, that was partly
due to the predictive text that couldn't be disabled...)

>   But you could just put .pov files on the iPhone (or download them from
> the net) and render them.

True, but why render something that somebody else has already rendered?
It would seem that you'd want to make something new yourself...

>> 3. Because the screen only has a resolution of 120x80 anyway.
>
>   480x320 on the iPhone, actually. But POV-Ray has never been limited to the
> screen resolution.

I meant more that at such low resolutions there wouldn't be much *point*
to it, that's all. ;-)