POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cellphone ray-tracing? : Re: Cellphone ray-tracing? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cellphone ray-tracing?
From: scott
Date: 20 Apr 2010 08:27:31
Message: <4bcd9db3@news.povray.org>
> I recently found out that my LG KS360 supposedly has a 400MHz proccessor.
> IIRC I used to run Pov-Ray 3.1 on a 333Mhz machine in 1997. My cellphone
> is a lot slower than the 33MHz Celeron I had to work on back then,

Different architecture completely.  How do you mean your phone is "a lot
slower"?

> Would it be possible to make a simple .jar ray-tracer to run on a
> cell-phone?

Yes.  I made a couple of simple jar applications to just show test patterns
on various phones.  IIRC I had to download the Java SDK and the Nokia SDK,
was a bit of a fiddle to get set up, but it was all free software and even
came with an emulator.  Not sure whether using Java and .jar files would
give the best speed though, compiling directly to machine code would
probably be faster (eg from a C or C++ type langauge).  This probably
requires a commercial compiler though, IDK.