POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another philosophical religious thought... : Re: Another philosophical religious thought... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another philosophical religious thought...
From: somebody
Date: 19 Apr 2010 06:11:29
Message: <4bcc2c51$1@news.povray.org>
news:4bcbc364$1@news.povray.org...

> Let's consider that JHVH is the first mover, the effect with no cause,
> because He has been around forever and was never created.
>
> Now let's consider that JHVH created Man in His own image.
>
> Doesn't that discredit the Watchmaker's argument?
>
> I mean, if God modeled humans after God, then God has eyes, right?

Not necessarily. If God has eyes (two, I assume, in the front of his head),
can I sneak up behind it? Wouldn't that limit his omniscience? And wouldn't
only having a couple of hundered billion neurons severely limit its
knowledge and ability?

Obviously, it doesn't make sense if one replaces the "image" with "physical
analogue". In fact, I don't think any major sects believe that God is
physical in the sense we come to understand it, so the whole "in his image"
business needs a deeper understanding (if you are religious) or is simply
just another nonsense (if not). Either way, the premise you start with is
not valid.