POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet frustrations : Re: Internet frustrations Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet frustrations
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Apr 2010 07:58:39
Message: <4bc9a26f$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> There's a value proposition that has to be offset.

I have no idea what this accounting jargon means.

>> You would *think* making MathReader free would benefit Wolfram, but
>> apparently not...
>
> It depends on the business analysis.  Wolfram might well have concluded
> that not enough people need the reader to make it worthwhile, or that the
> number of people paying for the creation software wouldn't offset the
> development costs.

I should point out that MathReader is simply Mathematica with a few
features turned off. The "development costs" should be minimal. (They
probably spend more on testing it to make sure the requisit features
really are switched off...) But sure, it's a cost analysis.

(Actually MathReader *is* free - it's just that you have to jump through
hoops to get at it. But it doesn't cost any actual money, no.)

>> I always thought 2 for 1 meant "buy one, pay for two, buy two, pay for
>> two"...
>
> Not really, "2 for 1" means "we normally charge x, but we've decided to
> get you to like the product by either taking a loss or by cutting our
> margin down by 50% or more so you can try the product out".
>
> ie, "2 for the (normal) price of 1".

I see...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/