POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet frustrations : Re: Internet frustrations Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet frustrations
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 15 Apr 2010 23:39:14
Message: <4bc7dbe2$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/15/10 08:40, Jim Henderson wrote:
> But I agree that it's annoying - the latest trend that I really dislike
> is on many news sites, they now break a story down into multiple "pages"
> - and on each page, the space for the story is a small percentage of the
> total space.  Reason I use adblock:  So I don't have to be distracted by
> 50 flashing ads per page.

	Multiple ways to fix that:

	Choose the Print option - it's almost always on one page. But you may
not like the printed version's formatting (especially if you have a wide
screen monitor). To fix that, apply the Readability bookmarklet.

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

	In fact, Readability works quite well on articles that are on one page.
I often use it merely to get rid of all the meta stuff (ads, navigation
bars, etc). Occasionally it will get things wrong, though.

	Another option is a Firefox extension called Autopager. It tries to see
if there's any kind of link for the next page. If it finds one, then
when you scroll down to the end of the current page, it will simply load
the next page below it. So you don't have to click any links. It doesn't
always work, but like Adblock, it is customizable.

	Often handy for Google searches. Just keep scrolling down rather than
going to the next page each time. Give it a try.

	Also, just as an FYI, there's a cool Greasemonkey script (or was it an
addon? I forget) that creates a *really* nicely formatted version of the
page if you click "Print" on an article. Nice font, multiple columns,
never have to scroll, etc. Name slips my mind but I can dig it up for you.

	I think there's also a script/extension that will automatically take
you to the Print version of a news article. However, I recall that it
merely had a whitelist to do this.

--
Psychoceramics: The study of crackpots.