POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fade Cutoff : Re: Fade Cutoff Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fade Cutoff
From: clipka
Date: 15 Apr 2010 15:32:06
Message: <4bc769b6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.04.2010 20:12, schrieb Christian Froeschlin:

> Actually I think it is strange that adc_bailout would give you
> extra black pixels. I would have expected max_trace_level to return
> black only for the remaining part of the ray which was cut off. Then,
> if that rays contribution was already negligible, there should not
> be much difference. But if I read the docs right this is not how
> max_trace_level works?

Then you're not reading the docs right: When max_trace_level is reached,
any /additional/ reflections and refractions are ignored, as if the
object /there/ was pitch black. All other objects the ray has
encountered on its way there will show up perfectly ok.

So if you're trying to achieve a Hall-Of-Mirrors effect with some dust
or dirt on each mirror, the resulting image will look like somewhere in
the "distance" there's a mirror that's just plain black instead of
reflecting anything, but you'll still see the dust and dirt on the
mirrors "in between".

BTW, adc_bailout works basically the same, except that it's kind of an
"adaptive max_trace_level".