POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad: WTF, Apple? : Re: iPad: WTF, Apple? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPad: WTF, Apple?
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Apr 2010 15:14:05
Message: <4bc7657d$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> That's one of the advantages that the Droid has now over the iPhone.

I saw an interesting article about this.  Phones generally don't do that
sort of multitasking because you don't have any swap space, so if your app
is written "knowing" how much RAM a phone has, it'll generally not get along
well with others. Droid has a system call that says "I'm nuking you -
package up what you need to recover your state."  So something like
navigation would just package up the destination and options, and would
throw away the tiles and the path data, until you popped it back up to the
front, whereupon it would re-download the map and recalculate the path.

I'm not sure how Apple is going to make the multitasking work with legacy
apps that don't implement something liek that.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,